GAINESVILLE, Fla. (April 23, 2022) – The 14th-ranked University of Georgia women’s tennis team defeated to the 26th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers 4-3 Saturday afternoon, in the semifinals of the 2022 Southeastern Conference women’s tennis tournament. The Bulldogs will face the Texas A&M Aggies Sunday, April 24 at 4:30 p.m. championship match on SECN+. This marks the 22nd SEC Tournament final for Georgia and will be a rematch of the 2021 SEC Championship match.
“I’m super proud of the way this team is fighting and coming together,” said Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace. “Today was another epic battle that took us playing with big hearts to be able to get through and get it done.”
In doubles, Georgia (17-5, 10-3 SEC) dropped two of three to South Carolina (15-9, 7-6 SEC). The tandem of Morgan Coppoc and Ania Hertel jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead, before defeating Rebeka Mertena and Esther Adeshina 6-3. The Freshman duo of Mai Nirundorn and Dasha Vidmanova fell to Tenika McGiffin and Elza Tomase 6-2, while Meg Kowalski and Mell Reasco dropped another tightly contested match on court two 7-6(5) to Eleonora Molinaro and Daria Kuczer.
In singles play, Georgia earned wins from No. 24 Reasco, No. 84 Vidmanova, No. 120 Kowalski, and Hertel. Kowalski gave the Bulldogs their first point of the day, dominating Esther Adeshina 6-0, 6-0. She was quickly followed by Reasco, who topped No. 34 Rebeka Mertena 6-2, 6-3 at the top spot – her 10th ranked win of the season. Hertel defeated Daria Kuczer 6-3, 6-3 to get UGA one point away from a championship match berth. After Coppoc and Nirundorn fell in straight-sets, freshman Dasha Vidmanova cliched the match with 6-4, 7-6(3) win over No. 60 Tenika McGiffin.
“Texas A&M is having a really great year,” said Wallace. “They have a great team. We are just excited that we are in the final again this year, and we would love to defend our title. We are looking forward to another battle tomorrow.”
Keep up with all the latest news and information on the Bulldogs by following UGA Women’s Tennis on Twitter @UGAWomensTennis, on Instagram @UGAWomensTennis, and on Facebook @GeorgiaWomensTennis or check out information online at georgiadogs.com.
1. #24 Mell Reasco (UGA) def. #34 Mertena, Rebeka (TENN) 6-2, 6-3
2. #84 Dasha Vidmanova (UGA) def. #60 McGiffin, Tenika (TENN) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
3. #121 Tomase, Elza (TENN) def. Morgan Coppoc (UGA) 6-3, 6-4
4. #120 Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Adeshina, Esther (TENN) 6-0, 6-0
5. Ania Hertel (UGA) def. Kuczer, Daria (TENN) 6-3, 6-3
6. Molinaro, Eleonora (TENN) def. Mai Nirundorn (UGA) 7-5, 6-4
1. #14 Morgan Coppoc/Ania Hertel (UGA) def. #71 Mertena, Rebeka/Adeshina, Esther (TENN) 6-3
2. McGiffin, Tenika/Tomase, Elza (TENN) def. Mell Reasco/Meg Kowalski (UGA) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Molinaro, Eleonora/Kuczer, Daria (TENN) def. Dasha Vidmanova/Mai Nirundorn (UGA) 6-2